There are over twenty ring forts in Carracastle. The original church in Carracastle, on the site of the present church, was a small thatched building which also served as a school house. The church in Carracastle today was built in 1877 and it was officially opened and blessed on 21 October 1877. The altar of Caen stone and marble was consecrated by Bishop McCormack on the 9th of June 1884. Church records for Carracastle parish begin in about 1850.